Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A passage that I like in Maniac Magee

"At last McNab was on the mound, fingering the ball in his glove, a demon's gleam in his eye. He wound up, fired, the ball headed for the plate and - what's this? - a leg ball, - it's got legs - long legs pinwheeling toward the plate. It wasn't a ball at all, it was a frog, and McNab was on the mound cackling away, and the kid at the plate was bug-eyed. He'd never - nobody'd ever - tried to hit a fastfrog before."
Page 25, 26; Maniac Magee - Jerry Spinelli

This passage interested me because I could really picture the scene in my head because of the descriptive language. I felt like I was at the baseball field and the thought of the frog heading toward homeplate made me laugh. I thought that the author was trying to slow down the moment when he said, "a leg ball, - it's got legs - long legs pinwheeling toward the plate." As I read, I felt like the author was giving hints that the ball was actually a frog. I felt the story developing as I read the words.
~JR

7 comments:

  1. I liked how you really described how much you could picture that scene in your mind. If I was not reading the book, your description would really make me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that passage to its very discritive, i could just picture a frog juping from plate to plate i like how Jerry Spinili explained hoe the ball looked like a frog jumping. It was more interesting then the ball flew across the feild. I think that passage was a snapshot!
    ~NL~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that passage too!! I could see a normal looking ball rotating, becoming green, growing legs, then all of a sudden realizing it was a frog!!

    AG:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this passage because he jumped like frog "got legs long legs!!"
    -charlie-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job highlighting a very vivid piece of text. And you were even commenting on the author's craft. Maybe you can do the same in your writing! :) Ms. S

    ReplyDelete