Monday, February 7, 2011

Maniac Magee Post #2: Point of Confusion

“Mrs. Beale was out front with a yellow bucket, soapsuds spilling over the brim, a stiff bristle brush in her hand. She was scrubbing, the house, the brick wall, scrubbing furiously at the chalk, grunting with the effort, the cheeks wet. He had been way too early, way too fast. Only the F had been scrubbed away. The rest was quite easy to read, the tall yellow letters the same color as the scrub bucket:
ISHBELLY GO HOME
Maniac Magee-Jerry Spinelli

I’m sort of confused about this passage. One thing that I’m confused about is when it said “He had been way too early, way too fast.” What was too fast? What was too early? Another thing that I’m wondering is why someone would call Maniac "Fishbelly" and tell him to go home? I think that Maniac had gotten up too early and the Beale family didn't want him to see the mean message, but I'm not sure.
~JR

7 comments:

  1. i liked that mrs beal was taking her own time to scrub FISH BELLY off.
    -zach

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was confused at first too, but then I understood. Well what I think is that when Amanda asked him to go shopping, I think that that was just an excuse for Mrs. Beale to have enough time to scrub off FISHBELLY. It was too fast for Mrs. Beale to scrub off all of the letters, and was to early when Maniac Magee came back. Thats at least what I think.
    ~Melisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 100% agree with you about how it was confusing. But, I also agree with what Melisa said, but to go along with what she said, I think Amanda said lets go to the store even though she knew it wouldn't be open because she paniced because she wanted to distract him before he saw it. Maybe Hester & Lester were trying to distract him too, or they just wanted to take a run with him.
    ~Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that it was confusing when they said to fast, to early. Did he mean Maniac was running to fast or that Mrs Beal was not scrubbing fast enough. And to early. Did Maniac leave to early or come back to early?~AG

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Maniac came back too early because they didn't want him to see the message. OB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Olivia the Beales didnt want him to see the message on the wall.

    Mathias
    Kools

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent blogging!!! You have discussed your confusion away! I agree, he was too early in order for Mrs. Beal to wash off all the letters.

    Ms. S

    ReplyDelete