Friday, February 11, 2011

Passage From Maniac Magee

"For all the life of him, he couldn't figure out why these East Enders called themselves black. He kept looking and looking, and the colors he found were gingersnap and light fudge and dark fudge and acorn and butterrum and cinnamon and burnt orange. But never licorice, which, to him, was real black."

I like this passage because, the way I take it, is that he can't see the differences that others can see. It is good to think that people are all equal, but I think if he were taught about black and white, he would see the black, not acorn, but black. Also I kind of think this line tells us why he lives in the East End, he doesn't get it.
~Km

1 comment:

  1. I agree Katelyn. He doesn't get and mostly because he wasn't taught to treat people differently based on their skin color. What would the world be like if people weren't taught about differences but about similarities?

    Ms. S

    ReplyDelete