Monday, February 14, 2011

Maniac Magee Post #3: Point of Confusion

"The old man just looked at him for awhile with mixture of puzzlement and recognition, as though the fish he had landed might be the same one he had thrown away long before. "Why?" he said.
Maniac felt why more than he knew why."
page 86, Maniac Magee by, Jerry Spinelli

This passage is a little confusing in many ways. When the author wrote, "the fish he had landed might be the same one he had thrown away long before", I think that Maniac might be the fish that Grayson landed . Maybe Grayson is comparing Maniac to himself because it's possible that Grayson might have been a runaway when he was little. Grayson is poor, so he can relate to Maniac in that way. I know that the author is being metaphorical. I also don't understand how you can feel without knowing why. I think that means when you feel something in your gut, but you can't describe it in words.
~JR

5 comments:

  1. Wow Jillian, great reflection on this confusing part of today's reading. I agree you can have a gut feeling. You know something but you don't have any logical reason for doing so. I think you are right in comparing Grayson and Maniac. I think Grayson could have been a run away. He does not have a home either since he's living at the YMCA. I think they will get a long great. I'm glad Maniac has someone to rely on besides the Beales.
    Ms. S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that Grayson is comparing Maniac to himself. I think this because Grayson could just throw Maniac to the streets and yet something makes him hold on to this boy, why else would he offer to share his own home to a measly street boy?~AG~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree with ms Stodden that part in the story was very confusing. To me it felt like Grayson was thinking of himself.

    ReplyDelete