Monday, March 5, 2012

Your greatest Enemy Shouldn't Be Yourself by Antonio

Many people don’t realize how being too hard
on yourself (multiple times) can become a bad habit. This can change the way
you sometimes think about yourself as well as how you react to not being perfect.
The worst part of all is that there is no way to be perfect.
When being hard on yourself, you become
stressed and sometimes pressured. One of my friends was working on a project
and did it pretty well. He thought that other people’s were better after seeing
his classmates’ projects. He turned it in but stressed about his project, which
he decided he didn’t put any effort into. Similarly, I forgot to practice the
day before a piano lesson. During my last-minute preparation, I was pressured
to practice quickly and judged how I played. Judging while playing made my
music not as good as it could’ve been. In addition, I forgot my homework once
and because of it, I slammed my hand against the ground. Forgetting homework
isn’t a big enough tragedy to hurt your wrist.
The next day, I found out that it wasn’t even due yet. I hurt myself for
absolutely nothing! I shouldn’t have even worried. Becoming stressed and pressured is fuel for
disaster in a person who is too hard on himself.
Being too
hard on yourself can make life seem like a black hole of hopelessness. If you
feel as though things you do aren’t good compared to other people’s work or
ideas, then you might become depressed. Once I was trying to make the exterior
of a book, and it was mostly a disaster. When I finished, the cloth was covered
in glue, as was the classroom sink. I felt like giving up. My teacher, however,
told me that I should bring the work home and finish it there. I didn’t even
consider that earlier because I was comparing my work to other people’s and
thinking that mine was not good. In the end, I finished the book— text, cover,
and all. Another instance of my being hopeless from perfectionism is that sometimes
I don’t see solutions to problems because I get so stressed. I needed to read
part of a book on a school night, and I forgot it at school. No big deal for
most people. It was on my mind for the whole evening. I did get to the library
and read the part of the book that I needed to by the next day, but during that
early evening, I couldn’t even think. I had to stay calm to solve the problem,
but I felt like nothing would fix the situation. When you’re hard on yourself, you might feel
as if you will not do well at a task. You might lose hope.
Being too hard
on yourself can make you feel as though everything about you is terrible. For
example, when my parents tell me not to do something, I feel like a horrible
person. Once I was told not to have a pillow fight with my brother and my
brother started a fight, but I also got blamed because I defended myself. When
being too hard on yourself, you can judge yourself as well. Once after a
practice, I thought that I didn’t play well, even though I actually got one or
two good hits. When you are your own enemy, you think that you are bad in every
way.
If you are
too hard on yourself, you have the desire to be perfect. You might feel like
you have to be a perfect student. In the past, I’ve tried to be as nice to subs
as possible, so I would always be on their good side. Sometimes, you might
react to not being perfect. Once I didn’t finish work I needed to finish and the
schedule that I had even said that it was due, but I’d forgotten it. I was
furious at myself. My teacher actually let me work on it in school. The desire
to be perfect is a trap to people who are hard on themselves, but worse is how
they react.
Have you
ever wondered what life would seem like without being hard on yourself entirely?
Probably not always as wonderful as you might think. You might not push
yourself as hard to do things. Being hard on yourself is mostly unhelpful, but
not entirely.
Being too
hard on yourself truly isn’t good because you think badly of yourself for no
reason at all. You need to build confidence in yourself and see the good in
yourself. Your greatest enemy shouldn’t be yourself because you aren’t always
ok with who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment